Thursday, November 04, 2010

Our "Teen" Shower

A few weeks ago, teachers on my 3rd grade team approached me about hosting a shower to celebrate the new addition to our family in some form or fashion. They came up with a "teen" shower concept and I thought it was so cute! They were very secretive about everything, until they needed to know if Kiir was going to be able to come. It was then that I found out that a mom of one of my students is from Ethiopia and wanted to bring Ethiopian food for us to all enjoy at the shower! Imagine my surprise and excitement! So I asked Kiir if he wanted to come and when he found out that Ethiopian food was going to be served he said YES!

So today was the party day and when I walked in, they had books from all over Africa on every table as decor, along with a huge sheet cake with an Ethiopian flag on it. They also had the best sweet tea in the world: Chick-fil-A! Then my student's mom walked in with the Ethiopian food and boy did it smell and taste so good! Kiir walked over after school (as is his daily ritual) a little later and when he saw the flag, he thought it was the coolest thing ever! He didn't know you could do that to cakes. Then he smelled the Ethiopian food and was so excited to make a plate for himself.

It was such a blessing to have the opportunity to tell everyone about Kiir and how we came to adopt him. God constantly provides such amazing opportunities to bring glory to Him and I thank Him daily for the testimony He has trusted me with! As pictures floated around, I was able to be the proud mom and gloat over my baby (yes, he is still my baby even if he is 17)! :) My mom was also able to come and be a part of this celebration! I'm so glad she could be the Nana and enjoy being a grandparent. The wonderful individuals that I have the pleasure of working with also happen to be great friends! I am so blessed by their love and support and cannot imagine working with anyone else. They are an amazing group of caring and kind people! I am extremely blessed in so many ways!

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to Your name be the glory, because of Your love and faithfulness." Psalm 115: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment